tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject RE: 2nd Post: Servlets and mod_jk problem -- thanks!
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2001 19:53:31 GMT
On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Kyle Tippetts wrote:

> Just want to thank everyone for their help and discussion on this
> problem.  And, I wanted to let everyone know what I found out. Milt,
> it was your question about my Web-inf directory and whether it was
> all uppercase or not that cracked it.

I figured if I kept throwing ideas out there, something was bound to
connect :-).

And now I've got my own problem I'm trying to debug -- I'll post about
it separately, and maybe someone can help me come up with some ideas
to figure that out :-).

> I originally created that directory as "Web-inf" but apparently on
> Linux, Tomcat expects this directory to be "WEB-INF." Once I renamed
> this directory and changed the <Location> tag in mod_jk.conf
> appropriately, I was able to get the servlet mappings for the
> context I added to work.
>
> One thing to note, Tomcat for NT is not picky about this, because on
> my NT deployment of Tomcat, I have the WEB-INF directory named
> "web-inf" and everything works fine.
[ ... ]

You must come from a Windows background :-) -- under UNIX, everything
has always been case-sensitive.  And on Windows, it generally isn't.
Although I thought I saw some Tomcat-related documentation that
indicated that Tomcat is, or is going to be, case-sensitive on all
platforms.  Maybe that's for 4.0.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
mepstein@uiuc.edu