tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4.0 b2 and classloader
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2001 01:33:41 GMT

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Dmitry Rogatkin wrote:

> Great job Tomcat team! Now Tomcat starts much faster and private class
> loader provides excellent protection, but there is some bad thing. I
> didn't specify explicitly for my servlet/JSP XML parser classes,
> because they were already in class path. Now, I have to. I think, XML
> parser classes can be considered as system level classes without
> necessity specifying them for each servlet. Is there a possibility to
> provide some classes shared by all servlet/JSP including Tomcat
> itself? Or probably there is another solution?

It turns out that which XML parser should be used is very much an
emotional issue for many people :-).  As shipped, Tomcat 4.0 does not
expose an XML parser to all webapps, but this is easy to change:

* If you want to use the JAXP RI parser, move jaxp.jar and crimson.jar
  from the jasper directory to the lib directory.

* If you want to use Xerces (only version 1.3.1 has all the required
  support), put xerces.jar in the "lib" directory, and remove jaxp.jar
  and crimson.jar from "jasper".

See the release notes for more info.

> Thanks.
>
> Dmitry R., dmitryr@visto.com
> Chief Architect, MetricStream.COM
> Santa Clara, CA

Craig McClanahan (who happens to be in Santa Clara this week for
ApacheCon)

IMPORTANT NOTE:  You should also upgrade to Tomcat 4.0-beta-3 instead, to
fix a security vulnerability that was reported in beta 2.