tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Tim Coultas" <>
Subject RE: Code Q.
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:46:34 GMT
Scott -

One thing that the Core Servlets book doesn't do well is explain Java
basics, like what does extends mean or how do method/class declarations
work.  It assumes that knowledge.  I found Sams "Teach Yourself Java in 21
Days" really helpful; it contains a lot of basic java information that would
address your questions pretty well.

You might want to look at the webapps\examples\web-inf\classes directory of
tomcat for some good basic examples of what servlets look like.

-----Original Message-----
From: Purcell, Scott []
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 5:22 PM
To: ''
Subject: Code Q.

I am learning JSP and have done quite a few examples from the Core Servlets
and JSP book.
I apologize for asking this q here, but I am trying to learn Tomcat and put
my whole picture together, and I figured that
the people on this line, would probably know what these lines mean.
Anyway, I keep typing these few lines but really don't have a grasp of what
they are doing.
I would really like to understand in a 'Laymans' fashion what I am doing and
what these lines do.
public class Hello extends HttpServlet

//I am assuming that the class Hello, that I am creating
// is extending HttpServlet class?
// but what does the extends really mean?
public void doGet(HttpServlet request,
HttpServlet response)
throws ServletException, IOExcedption;
// It looks like I am creating? or calling? a method here. And am I passing
it the HttpServlet class?
I am very confused on this, and would enjoy hearing from someone that
wouldn't mind going over that with me.
Thanks very much,

View raw message