tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "eric chacon" <chacone...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Code Q.
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2001 01:43:00 GMT
Scott,

You're asking some straight-forward Java questions that might be better
addressed in one of the news groups (comp.lang.java, for example)--if you're
not familiar with newsgroups check out www.deja.com (currently held hostage
by google, but hopefully working soon).

In the code, you're defining a class called Hello which is a subclass (also
called a child) of the HttpServlet class.  Extends is a Java keyword meaning
that your class (Hello) inherits the functionality of the HttpServlet
class--Object Oriented concepts like Inheritance would be thouroughly
explained in a Java text book.

It looks like your doGet method is miss-copied (adding to your confusion).
You are, in fact, defining a method--one that will eventually be called by
the Tomcat server.

If you look closely at the book you're reading, you'll probably see that it
actually takes HttpServletRequest and HttpServletResponse (not just
HttpServlet).

Servlets are kind of complicated--you might find it easier to start with
some more basic Java and work up to Tomcat and servlets.

Cheers, and good luck,
Eric