tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jann VanOver <Jann.VanO...@loudeye.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat vs. other app servers
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:42:51 GMT
FYI: if anyone is interested in joining the JRUN-talk group, you can sign up
at http://www.houseoffusion.com click on the <MAILING LIST> link on the left

-----Original Message-----
From: Milt Epstein [mailto:mepstein@uiuc.edu]
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2001 3:35 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Tomcat vs. other app servers

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Jeff Turner wrote:

> We have found JRun 3.0 to be a fine product (as was it's 2.3
> predecessor), and use it in many production environments. One should
> be careful to avoid unsubstantiated claims on this forum, lest it
> amount to FUD.
>
> That said, most of our developers use Tomcat for development. It is
> spec-compliant, doesn't crash, has excellent support (this list:)
> and 3.3/4.0 eliminates much classpath pain. By contrast, JRun
> *extends* the spec, accepting invalid syntax (like <%= foo; %>)
> which means JSP authors must constantly be on guard to avoid
> portability problems. JRun does not have a tomcat-users equivalent,
> thus has effectively no user community. Unless you're a fan of
> phone-based support, that doesn't leave one much recourse when help
> is needed.
[ ... ]

JRun does/did have a JRun-talk mailing list.  There was participation
by Allaire/JRun people, but it was a little strange, they seemed to
disclaim it as a support forum (it was a support forum when it started
out, before Allaire took over JRun).  Anyway, it wasn't as useful as
this list.  They also have some online/web-based fora, but I never
used those.

I had used JRun (2.2), along with Netscape Enterprise Server, before
switching to Tomcat/Apache some time back.  It worked fine for us.

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 04:52:31PM -0500, Scott Tatum wrote:
> > Before using Tomcat, our group had spent several k's on JRun 3.0
> > application server. We have several Intranet applications that receive
> > thousands of hits per day. Under JRun we were experiencing daily
> > lockups. After Service Pack 2 for JRun 3 did not fix the problem, I
> > tested out Tomcat 3.2.1.
> >
> > We eventually transitioned all of our jsp/servlet applications from JRun
> > to Tomcat, and have not had a single lockup since. The Tomcat server
> > also serves pages faster IMO. JRun does not support servlet reloading
> > either.
> > >From my experience, Tomcat has high degrees of performance,
scalability,
> > and especially reliability. The only issue I don't know much about is
> > security. It is not as much of a concern to us as all of our
> > applications are Intranet-only.
> >
> > Tomcat has been rock-solid for us and we hope to use it for all our
> > future Intranet applications, and are looking forward to a production
> > release of Tomcat 4.
> >
> > -Scott
> >
> > --
> > Scott Tatum | scott.tatum@wcom.com
> > Senior Applications Developer, Special Projects
> > WorldCom | http://www.wcom.com/
> >
> > Henrik Ross wrote:
> >
> > > What are peoples opinions on Tomcat vs. other app servers?
> > >
> > > Performance, scalability, security, reliability?
> > >
> > > Can Tomcat function in a real production business environment?

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
mepstein@uiuc.edu