tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Diggory <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Do I smell?
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:02:21 GMT
Or is it just that no one else is interested in integrating Tomcat and Apache?!

I have servlet mappings in my web.xml file that map URI's to servlets.
These URI's may contain files with jsp extent ions on them. when I
integrate Tomcat 3.2.1 with Apache I can see any of my jsp's and servlets
and have them execute. However, it appears that the mappings I supplied in
web.xml are gone. Here's an example

in stand alone Tomcat:

http://host:8080/VDC/Component  gets sent to maps to my  /VDC/servlets/Dispatch

and

http://host:8080/VDC/Component/main.jsp also maps to /VDC/servlets/Dispatch

this is because my web.xml looks like this:

<servlet-name>Dispatch</servlet-name>
     <servlet-class>vdc.uis.Dispatch</servlet-class>
     <load-on-startup>4</load-on-startup>
   </servlet>

   <servlet-mapping>
     <servlet-name>Dispatch</servlet-name>
     <url-pattern>/Component/*</url-pattern>
   </servlet-mapping>

Dispatch is responsible for doing some work and the forwarding the request
to /VDC/Component/main.jsp. This works great in standalone tomcat. However
when I try to use Apache to
access  http://host/VDC/Component/main.jsp  instead of going to Dispatch it
goes directly to the jsp file. This appears to be because the mappings
outlined in web.xml seem to be ignored.

Is it true that web.xml is not used by Apache/jserv_mod?

if so, how can I write a an entry in the apache-tomcat.conf that will
accomplish this same mapping?

thanks,
Mark