tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chris Price <cpr...@its.to>
Subject Tomcat3.2+Redhat 7.0+glibc-2.x.x+jdk1.x == stable??
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2001 02:47:11 GMT

	Hi;

	I know its kind of an open ended question, but I would like some input
(factual or anecdotal) on other peoples success in running various
combinations of glibc + jdk + kernel (does kernel mattrer much?).

	I am currently running the Sun JDK 1.3.0 with glibc-2.1.92 and kernel
2.2.16-22 on a *very* stock RH 7.0. This combination is proving itself
to be quite unstable, with the Tomcat http listener and/or servlet
engine dying under moderate loads (less than 4,000 hits roughly over 8
hours).

	The glibc + kernel are stock RH7.0 pieces, and while I am sure I can
probably gain some stability by upgrading to newer ones, I would like to
know if there is a "optimal" (used loosely) combination that exists.

	I am inheriting this setup from an Admin that thought that Linux
'sucked' and that we should move to NT. The previous admin didn't know
how to use rpm, compile a kernel, or have a clue as to what glibc is.
Needless to say, I can probably add some value and squeeze some better
performance from our Tomcat app servers.

	Cheers

	Chris Price