tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Kilbride" <j...@kilbride.com>
Subject Re: Apache/Tomcat integration issues
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:02:33 GMT
I don't think there's a way to tell Tomcat to use ajp13 in it's auto-generated config files
-- which is why I just used the auto file as a starting point to create my own. It's pretty
simple and it doesn't change that often, unless you're constantly adding webapps. Remember,
you'll have to restart Tomcat -- and therefore Apache, if you're using ajp13 -- when you add
a new webapp anyway, so adding a few lines to the config file is relatively painless at that
point.

As for #2, all I can think of is to make sure you're setting the ContentType for the response
to text/html. I believe it defaults to plain text if you don't. MSIE may display the html
whether the correct header is set or not.

Thanks,
--jeff
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sam Newman
  To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 7:05 AM
  Subject: Apache/Tomcat integration issues

  I've just followed the instructions to get Apache and Tomcat working together. I editied
the workers.properties file (which by the way seems to assume you are on a win32 platform!)
and the server.xml to include the ajpv13 protocol connector. Apache includes tomcats autogenerated
config file and everything works fine - I can see and execute all the example code. I basically
have two problems however:

  1.) The autogenerated conf file for mod_jk makes no reference of ajpv13, which I assumed
is the prefered protocol. The only place I can see to make ajpv13 the default is for JServ.
I obviously would like to avoid editing httpd.conf by hand and would rather tomcat generated
the file using ajpv13 as the default - is it simply a matter of inserting a directive in the
servler.xml? I appreciate that not everyone will choose to use ajpv13, but if its explicitly
referenced in the server.xml, couldn't it be put in? What do I loose by not using ajpv13 (apart
from performance)?

  2.) When displaying one of my login servlets (a simple form forwarding requests to another
servlet) via apache (over standard http or https) under netscape on a linux box, I get displayed
the source code for the page (e.g. the plain text html) rather than the rendered page. Accessing
the page via the tomcat port solves this. MSIE on my laptop can view the page fine - either
via http or https. If it was a problem with the format of html i would of expected the tomcat
served page to likewise display the html sourcecode. Any ideas?

  Thanks in advance,

  sam newman

  p.s. I'm tempted to buy redhat's strongohld out of my own pocket rather than spend another
week of hell getting SSL working myself!