tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Kilbride" <j...@kilbride.com>
Subject Re: Apache-SSL or Mod-ssl
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:48:09 GMT
Actually, mod-ssl is the preferred way to add SSL to Apache these days. Apache-SSL is an older
solution. Most of the commercial ssl products (i.e. Covalent Raven, Stronghold, etc...) are
based on mod-ssl -- and they actually support its development. If you've already gone through
the pain of setting up Apache-SSL, setting up mod-ssl should seem relatively simple. Mod-ssl
is extremely well documented on it's website (www.modssl.org). It took me about 20 minutes
to apply the EAPI patch to Apache and compile the module.

If I were you, I'd look at implementing mod-ssl on your own before buying Stronghold or any
other commercial product.

Thanks,
--jeff

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sam Newman
  To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 6:53 AM
  Subject: Apache-SSL or Mod-ssl

  I was wondering which is the prefered choice for work with servlets? I am having untold
trouble getting Apache-SSL to work (built it, can't view a page without a seg fault). Whilst
not a tomcat specific issue Apache-SSL is the mentioned way to get SSL working with tomcat.
I've just tried RedHats Stronghold product (try www.c2.net) which gave be an out of the box
SSL working Apache server (uses mod_ssl) in under 10 minutes. Getting tomcat to work with
it hasn't been a problem either - well, hardly a problem (see my other post). Before I try
and get my boss to buy stronghold, are there any issues I should be aware of with using mod_sll
as opposed to Apache-SSL?

  sam