tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Kilbride" <j...@kilbride.com>
Subject Re: apache vhost->mod_jk->servlet container
Date Sun, 08 Apr 2001 04:00:01 GMT
Here's an example of the setup I have running (info changed to be
generic...)

httpd.conf:
<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>
        ServerName www.tld.com
        DocumentRoot "/home/websites/tld"

        JkMount /servlet/* ajp13
        JkMount /*.jsp ajp13

        Alias /mywebapp "/path/to/your/webapp/mywebapp"
        <Directory "/path/to/your/webapp/mywebapp">
                allow from all
        </Directory>

        <Location "/mywebapp /WEB-INF">
                AllowOverride None
                deny from all
        </Location>

        <Location "/mywebapp /META-INF">
                AllowOverride None
                deny from all
        </Location>

</VirtualHost>

server.xml:
<!-- Virtual host setup -->
<Host name="www.tld.com" >
    <Context path=""
                   docBase="/path/to/your/webapp/mywebapp"
                   crossContext="false"
                   debug="0"
                    reloadable="true" >
    </Context>
</Host>
----------------------

I noticed you had the DocumentRoot for Apache set to the same directory as
your docBase. Is that really what you want? I usually try to keep these two
separate. Since the docBase represents the top-level of my webapp, I usually
alias the docBase to a relative path with a meaningful name -- so people
access it from the web as www.tld.com/mywebapp, as opposed to www.tld.com.
I'm not even sure if having the docBase and DocumentRoot the same will work.
I've never tried it that way. (Does anybody know?)

Also, you don't need to declare the "/servlet" context explicitly. The above
config will give the following:

www.tld.com
    access to DocumentRoot in httpd.conf
www.tld.com/mywebapp
    access to the docBase in server.xml
    ability to run JSP files in the docBase directory
www.tld.com/servlet
    access to servlets/JSP in your WEB-INF/classes directory
    ability to run servlets/JSP from WEB-INF/classes

Your servlet mappings in your web.xml file below are correct. I got all of
this from the Apache-Tomcat and mod_jk Howto's located here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/index.html

I had to read them a couple of times and switch back and forth through the
examples, before it really made sense.

Hope this helps!

--jeff