tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jesper Söderlund <jesper.soderl...@smarttrust.com>
Subject RE: Classloader problems - multiple versions of JAR files
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2001 15:28:54 GMT
I don't know about Tomcat 4, but in Tomcat 3.2.1 this works nicely. I was
kind of sceptical myself so I made a very simple prototype to demonstrate
this.

I'm kind of new to Tomcat, but why are there two so disparate versions of
Tomcat?

Will they merge or will they continue on paralell tracks, in that case
perhaps it's best to rename one of them?

Regards,
/Jesper

-----Original Message-----
From: Winters, Jason [mailto:jwinters@Inst.StrykerCorp.Com]
Sent: den 8 mars 2001 15:50
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Classloader problems - multiple versions of JAR files

I'm having a problem with multiple versions of JAR files under different
applications in Tomcat 4.0b1.  We have two web applications running under
Tomcat.  Each application has a copy of a JAR file that was written
in-house.  Our webapps directory looks something like this:

webapps/alpha/WEB-INF/lib/myframework.jar
This version of the JAR file is at version 1.2.

webapps/beta/WEB-INF/lib/myframework.jar
This version of the JAR file is at version 1.3 and includes classes that did
not exist in version 1.2.

When the beta application references a class from myframework.jar, it seems
to pull from version 1.2 of the JAR file.  If we try to reference a class
that didn't exist in version 1.2 we get NoClassDefFound exceptions.  If we
update the alpha application to use version 1.3 of myframework.jar
everything seems to work fine.  The myframework.jar file exists only in
webapps/xxxx/WEB-INF/lib directories.  It does not exist in the system
classpath, $CATALINA_HOME/lib, or $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib.

Does anyone have any idea why this happens and how to fix it?

Jason