tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "BENARD Christophe, DDE 34/SG" <Christophe.Ben...@equipement.gouv.fr>
Subject RE: Tomcat setup
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2001 08:23:47 GMT

6.6 Avoiding "Out of environment space" errors on Windows 95/98

This error can easily occur since the default amount of environment space is
typically insufficient to run Tomcat.  Here are a couple of ways to avoid
it.

  A. If you use the MS-DOS Prompt to start Tomcat, execute Programs ->
     MS-DOS Prompt.  Right-click the MS-DOS icon on the left of the title
bar
     and select Properties at the bottom of the menu.  In the MS-DOS Prompt
     Properties dialog select the Memory tab.  In the "Initial environment:"
     field, set a sufficiently high number.  If you are not sure, 3072
should
     be plenty.  Click OK and close the MS-DOS Prompt window.  Execute
     Programs -> MS-DOS Prompt again, navigate to the directory where you
     installed Tomcat.  Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable if not set
     already.  You should be able to execute "bin\startup" and
"bin\shutdown"
     to start and stop Tomcat without getting an "Out of environment space"
     error.

Available at  :
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/readme

HTH