tomcat-users mailing list archives

From José Carlos Cuéllar <jc.cuel...@wanadoo.es>
Subject RE: TOMCAT vs Apache
Date Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:30:26 GMT
Hi Chandra.

Here is the full explanation of this by the Apache people:

"Up until now we have not discussed Tomcat as a server add on, instead we
have considered it as a stand-alone container and discussed how it can be
used. There are however a few problems with this picture:

* Tomcat is not as fast as Apache when it comes to static pages.
* Tomcat is not as configurable as Apache.
* Tomcat is not as robust as Apache.
* There are many sites with long time investment in certain web servers, for
example, sites that are using CGI scripts/Server API modules/perl/php... We
cannot assume that all of them will want to ditch this legacy.

For all these reasons it is recommended that real world sites use a web
server, such as Apache, for serving the static content of the site, and use
Tomcat as a Servlet/JSP add-on."

This explanation can be found at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/uguide/tomcat_ug.htm

under the section "Setting Tomcat to Cooperate with the Apache Web Server"

The thing is that you won't notice any change when making tests with little
load, but to do all this thing it's completely necessary when configuring
"real" systems.

Salu2. Jose.