tomcat-users mailing list archives

From david.svanb...@kentor.se
Subject Newbie question: How does Tomcat implement HttpSession?
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2001 12:10:09 GMT
Our load balancer supports two ways of keeping the state of the sessions
between
requests, ip source (all clients from the same subnet will be redirected
to that
Tomcat server) and cookie based (a little more flexible approach), that
is if the
client allows cookies. To enable cookie based load balancing in our Load
Balancer
I have to know the name of the cookie being set and my question is - how
does
Tomcat implement HttpSession? Is this done by setting up a cookie? If
so, what is
the name of that cookie and what data differentiates this cookie from
the one
generated from other tomcat servers (are they unique?)? I mean, if it's
just a
number sequences always starting from 1 with every restart of the Tomcat
server
you can't grant the sessions to be redirected to the correct server. I
have
tried figuring this out by snooping the request without luck. Please
help.

---------- ----------------- -----------------
| Client | | Load Balancer | | Tomcat 3.1 #1 | - cookie keeping session
id?
                             | Tomcat 3.1 #2 |
                             | Tomcat 3.1 #n |

Regards,