tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Bullock <dbull...@lisasoft.com>
Subject Re: Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit() error under Solaris
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:25:43 GMT
Do a Google Search for XVFB ( X Virtual Frame Buffer ).  To use AWT stuff in a server-side
environment on Unix, you have to have access to a window mangager - -XVFB lets you set it
up without actually having to dedicate a graphics card to the use of an X Server.

Also, make sure that you can run an example AWT or Swing app using the same environment configuration
as the server, as a check for other gotchas.

good luck,
David.

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Nick Didkovsky wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We are running Tomcat Version 3.2.1 on a Solaris Server.
>
> I've isolated a problem which boils down to a simple two liner:
>
> <%@ page import="java.awt.*" %>
> <%  Toolkit myToolkit = Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(); %>
>
> Internal Servlet Error:
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: sun/awt/motif/MToolkit
>         at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native Method)
>
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/awt/motif/MToolkit
>         at java.lang.Class.forName0(Compiled Code)
>         at java.lang.Class.forName(Compiled Code)
>         at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:499)
>         at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:492)

David Bullock
LISAsoft Project Lead
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform

 email: dbullock@lisasoft.com
mobile: +61 4 0290 1228

"The key ingredients of success are a crystal-clear goal,
a realistic attack plan to achieve that goal,
and consistent, daily action to reach that goal."

Steve Maguire, "Debugging the Development Process".

LISAsoft
http://www.lisasoft.com/

Adelaide                  Sydney
38 Greenhill Rd           Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville S.A. 5034        Sydney NSW 2000
Australia                 Australia

PH  +61 8 8272 1555       PH  +61 2 9283 0877
FAX +61 8 8271 1199       FAX +61 2 9283 0866