tomcat-users mailing list archives

From ola_petters...@myob.com.au
Subject Re: beginner of TOMCAT..help required
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2001 05:19:28 GMT

This is how I did it in Tomcat 3.2, not using .jar, just normal .class
files

Put a directory called "Sami" under webapps
Create a "WEB-INF" directory under Sami
Create a "classes" directory under WEB-INF and put the class files there

In the WEB-INF directory you should put a "web.xml" which in my case
roughly looks like this:

<web-app>
   <servlet>
      <servlet-name>Whatever</servlet-name>
      <servlet-class>yourpackage.yourclass</servlet-class>
   </servlet>

   <servlet-mapping>
      <servlet-name>Whatever</servlet-name>
      <url-pattern>/Whatever</url-pattern>
   </servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

Then you should be able to invoce the sevlet at:
http://localhost:8080/Sami/Whatever

Hope it helps and that I didn't make too many mistakes :)
/Ola

                    "Sami"

                    <sa@infobroke        To:     <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                    r.com.au>            cc:

                                         Subject:     beginner of TOMCAT..help required

                    20/02/2001

                    03:44 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    tomcat-user

Hello All,
I have recently downloaded Tomcat3.1.2. I unzipped it and then started the
web server. Its up and running. Now i have written some sample servelts
like
helloWorldServelt.java, firstServlet.java. I have compiled them, as
servlet.jar is in my CLASSPATH.
Now I want to I want to create a direcotry "/Sami" in  "webapp" directory"
and want to deploy my servlets over there, and want that I should be able
execute those servlets by typing
http://localhost/Sami/..........
so can anyone give me the sequence of steps  of how to manipulate all XML
files, how to add a new context and blah,blah,,,blah...
I have read the documentation on the site, but I guess that I am not ina
state of mind to pick up that kind of documentation.
I would be very much obliged to any person who helps me in doing this
simple
task.
Thanx in advance
 Sami