tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Alistair Hopkins" <alist...@berthengron.co.uk>
Subject RE: HttpSession across virtual hosts
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2001 14:30:52 GMT
The http // https comparison doesn't work as cookies are sent or not
depending on the host, not on the protocol.

So if I have a valid session_id in a cookie in http, that will still be sent
when I switch to https.

So I can either have a common pool of current cookies if my https server is
seperate from my http server (seems a hard way to do it) or I just access
the software (eg Tomcat) via a webserver (eg apache) through either protocol
and the session continues without complaint.

Unless I did something complicated without noticing, of course...

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Layman [mailto:randy.layman@aswethink.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 1:13 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: HttpSession across virtual hosts

	What I've seen done, which doesn't necessarily make it secure, it to
send some form of CartID.  This ID identifies the Cart in some shared back
end data store.  Usually these are large numbers that contain enough
information to determine if its a possible real value, or a number someone
made up.  If its something that someone made up, usually their IP is locked
out for a certain amount of time or a session field is set that doesn't
allow them in as long as that same session is valid.

	Randy