tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig" <cr...@thebridgeproductions.com>
Subject RE: Which JVM for Tomcat?
Date Sun, 04 Feb 2001 17:58:24 GMT
Sorry if I mis-spoke, Java 3D is not included in the core classes of jdk
1.3. It is a separate download and is in beta 1.21 at the moment (an early
access product). You can download a version of the jdk with Java 3d as an
executable file, it will automatically upgrade your current jdk and jre if
you like.  I am not using this version on my server but on a separate
computer.  Beware, it requires a fast computer for the rendering. Not quite
ready for prime time. :0)

Jdk 1.3 is faster then 1.2.  IBM's 1.3 is said to be good as well.

Regards,
Craig

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Janicki [mailto:Janicki@ia-inc.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2001 8:58 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Which JVM for Tomcat?

Check out this bug before you commit to 1.3 for production: 4293268 (on
Sun's Java Bug Parade)

It's a rare bug on slow apps, but a killer if your JVM is heavily loaded.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 1/25/01, 3:02:50 PM, "Michael G. Anderson" <RIEMANNIAN@home.com> wrote
regarding Re: Which JVM for Tomcat?:

> Hi Craig,
> When did Sun incorporate JAVA 3D into the core classes -- if I read your
post
> correctly?

> regard,

> mike anderson

> Craig O'Brien wrote:

> > Hello forsythe,
> >
> > I recommend downloading the Java 1.3 SDK.  I believe it is final now..?
It
> > outperforms earlier versions and would be the best choice for your
server.
> > If you are downloading at 56k - ...oh well, just do it.  It also
includes
> > all of the latest features (java 2d, java 3d, java media, etc.)  It is
> > stable and is a good performer. You need a good compiler for JSP pages.
> >
> > For applets, you are stuck with 1.1 and earlier if you want the majority
of
> > your visitors to make use of them.  The plug in is a 2-3 meg download
and
it
> > is unreasonable to expect a visitor to download that.  There is also a
bug
> > in Sun's delivery system currently which doesn't allow Internet Explorer
> > download the plug in anyway.  You will receive the latest plug in with
your
> > version 1.3.  You can still compile your applets with depreciated
methods.
> > You can install multiple JDKs of different versions on the same machine.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Craig

Ok