tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pam Withnall <P...@zoom.com.au>
Subject RE: Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit() error under Solaris
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:41:49 GMT
use xvfb or, add eteks classes...............................

1. use the classes from eteks
2. put system property statements in your code ( see document from eteks)
3. This works for everything  but the -Xbootclasspath, after much hair
pulling, I found the answer below

1.get  the pga classes and pga tools classes from  http://www.eteks.com
there is a downloaded document, go to the FAQ section. ( for system property
statements)

Then

3.look at http://mikal.org/interests/java/tomcat_users/msg05089.html
( for -Xbootclasspath)
that is if you are using tomcat. I don't know what you would do if you
aren't.

Then everything should work without xvfb or any other windows.
Have Fun

-----Original Message-----
From: David Bullock [mailto:dbullock@lisasoft.com]
Sent: Friday, 16 February 2001 4:26 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit() error under Solaris

Do a Google Search for XVFB ( X Virtual Frame Buffer ).  To use AWT stuff in
a server-side environment on Unix, you have to have access to a window
mangager - -XVFB lets you set it up without actually having to dedicate a
graphics card to the use of an X Server.

Also, make sure that you can run an example AWT or Swing app using the same
environment configuration as the server, as a check for other gotchas.

good luck,
David.

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Nick Didkovsky wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We are running Tomcat Version 3.2.1 on a Solaris Server.
>
> I've isolated a problem which boils down to a simple two liner:
>
> <%@ page import="java.awt.*" %>
> <%  Toolkit myToolkit = Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(); %>
>
> Internal Servlet Error:
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: sun/awt/motif/MToolkit
>         at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native Method)
>
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/awt/motif/MToolkit
>         at java.lang.Class.forName0(Compiled Code)
>         at java.lang.Class.forName(Compiled Code)
>         at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:499)
>         at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:492)

David Bullock
LISAsoft Project Lead
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform

 email: dbullock@lisasoft.com
mobile: +61 4 0290 1228

"The key ingredients of success are a crystal-clear goal,
a realistic attack plan to achieve that goal,
and consistent, daily action to reach that goal."

Steve Maguire, "Debugging the Development Process".

LISAsoft
http://www.lisasoft.com/

Adelaide                  Sydney
38 Greenhill Rd           Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville S.A. 5034        Sydney NSW 2000
Australia                 Australia

PH  +61 8 8272 1555       PH  +61 2 9283 0877
FAX +61 8 8271 1199       FAX +61 2 9283 0866