tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Lifeng Xu <...@rims.com>
Subject RE: Newbie: HTTPS
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2001 18:50:36 GMT
Thank you John for your reply.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming the certificate is installed --
it was working before, and I can still see that under my
/usr/local/apache/conf/, there are directories such as ssl.crt, ssl.key,
etc. There are files like srever.crt and other .crt files. Can't I just keep
and use them? But for the server.xml, I don't see anything that's SSL
related. Maybe this is what I need to do something about.

Sorry about this kind of quesion. I just want to get the old stuff working
for now and come back later to obsorb it.

Thank you again for your help.

Lifeng

-----Original Message-----
From: John Golubenko [mailto:golubenkoj@columbiafunds.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 12:18 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Newbie: HTTPS

Well, I'll suggest you to check openssl.org.
Then you'll be able to create a certificate with your information
in it (Manual is very clear 1->2->3). After that you can download JSSE
(javasoft.com/products/jsee (?))
and add couple of lines into server.xml file under tomcat (Also manual
clear).
Change port to 443, and it's ready to go. But, you may need to buy
certificate for the future... I don't know any free tools to
generate a certificate, so browser will not prompt you about
installation,
or that it's not trusted...
Hope it helps a bit.
John.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 2/6/01, 10:03:36 AM, "Lifeng Xu" <lxx@rims.com> wrote regarding Newbie:
HTTPS:

> Hi all,

> I am working in an environment of Apache/Tomcat on Linux, and I am new in
> HTTPS/SSL. What I am facing is a project developed by someone else who is
no
> longer around. I am modifing the environment so that it will work with
our
> new release. While I am OK with the rest of the environment, I really
don't
> know much about this HTTPS stuff. It worked before, but not anymore after
> modified it. As I understand, I did change anything that related to SSL
(for
> instance the "SSLEngine on", etc., in http.conf).

> My question is that can someone give me a simple 1,2,3... to check on?
Since
> I believe that the change I deed to make it back to work should be minor.
> Right now, when I type in a https url, the browser displays page not
found
> message, but the http url works fine.

> The mod_ssl is installed and used in our environment.

> Any pelp is highly appreciated.

> Lifeng

NOTICE:  This communication may contain confidential or other privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you
have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy,
retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information.  Also, please
indicate to the sender that you have received this email in error, and
delete the copy you received.  Any communication that does not relate to
official Columbia business is that of the sender and is neither given nor
endorsed by Columbia.  Thank you.