tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Randy Layman <randy.lay...@aswethink.com>
Subject RE: simple servlet setup question
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:12:38 GMT

	First, you need to move your .class file to
webapps\extranet\WEB-INF\classes directory.  Now you have two choices.  You
can either reference your servlet as /servlet/ExtranetServlet or you can add
a mapping to your web.xml file (see the Servlet spec for more info,
including an example) to make the Servlet respond to any URL on your server
you want.

	Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Hall [mailto:vuluv@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 4:35 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: simple servlet setup question

Hello -
I just installed Tomcat and am trying to set up a really
simple example using a servlet to process input from an
html form, but for some reason the servlet isn't being
found.  I specify which servlet the form is submitted to
in the html file with this line:

<form name="LoginExtranet" method="POST" action="ExtranetServlet">

The html file is in the jakarta-tomcat\webapps\extranet
directory, and the ExtranetServlet.class file is in the
jakarta-tomcat\webapps\extranet\classes directory, but
for some reason I get "404 file not found" instead.  Any
suggestions on where I should put the servlet so that it
is seen?

Also, I have System.out.println() calls in the init() method
of the servlet.  Where should this be output?  to the ms-dos
command prompt window or to one of the logs?  I don't see it
anywhere and init() should be invoked when tomcat is start,
correct?

Thanks so much for any help
Sean
sean@reprogram.org