tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Randy Layman <randy.lay...@aswethink.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 3.2 throwing a VerifyError at me
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:19:28 GMT

	It would appear to me that you are trying to create an instance of a
class (using Class.newInstance()) that doesn't have a matching contructor to
how you are trying to load it.  If I remember correctly, newInstance only
works with No-Argument constructors.  Check for this, and if its not in your
code, check the generated java - maybe Jasper is generating this call?

	Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: Rajnish Bhaskar [mailto:r.bhaskar@compserv.gla.ac.uk]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 9:41 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat 3.2 throwing a VerifyError at me

I didn't get a reply to this before, so I'm resending it.

Raj.

Hi all,
I've been using Tomcat 3.1 for a quite a long time now, and I
thought that I'd finally give 3.2.1 a try since it's (finally) out of beta.

I've set up Tomcat on a Windows NT4 machine with Sun JDK 1.2
and added my webapp to the server.xml file as follows:

	<!-- /ITEU context added by RAJ -->
	<context path="/ITEU"
		 docBase="webapps/ITEU"
		 crossContext="true"
		 trusted="true"
		 debug="0"
		 reloadable="false" >
	</context>

I then went through my app to ensure that everything is still
working, and although most of the JSPs are working fine, when it
comes to one of them, I get a VerifyError exception:

/ITEU/html/manager/displayquestions.jsp Internal Servlet Error:
javax.servlet.ServletException: (class:
html/manager/_0002fhtml_0002fmanager_0002fdisplayquestions_00
02ejspdisplayquestions_jsp_1, method: _jspService signature:
(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServle
tResponse;)V) Incompatible object argument for function
<<snip>>

Root cause:
java.lang.VerifyError: (class:
html/manager/_0002fhtml_0002fmanager_0002fdisplayquestions_00
02ejspdisplayquestions_jsp_1, method: _jspService signature:
(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServle
tResponse;)V) Incompatible object argument for function
<<snip>>

I've gone back and checked this against Tomcat 3.1 and it works
fine.  I'm guessing that this is some sort of security thing that is
different between 3.1 and 3.2, or there's some setting that I've
missed, but I can't see what it is.  Can someone help?

TIA,
Raj.

Rajnish Bhaskar
r.bhaskar@compserv.gla.ac.uk, http://i.am/rajy
IT Education Unit, University of Glasgow
http://www.iteu.gla.ac.uk/
--
Only buffoons refer to the Internet as the Information Superhighway.
     -- (The Rough Guide to the Internet 1999)