tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Vijay Prabhakar" <Vijay.Prabha...@eoncompany.com>
Subject RE: Custom authentication mechanism in Tomcat?
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2001 15:21:34 GMT
I'm currently doing something similar.  I have authentication working as
an Interceptor.  I based it off of the BaseInterceptor class.  I just
re-wrote the authenticate() method.  I suspect that I will need to
rewrite part of the context manager's doAuthenticate() method, but I'm
not sure whether or not I'll have to do that yet.  Have you gotten any
useful advice?

-Vijay

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Taylor [mailto:geoff@smartjsp.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 10:04 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Custom authentication mechanism in Tomcat?

Hi,

I'd like to implement a custom authentication mechanism for Tomcat.  How
should I go about it?

OK, so that's a huge question.  I'll try and be a bit more specific: I'd
like to be able to authenticate users against a database.  I'm not
afraid of
writing the code to do all this, but I'd like to get it right instead of
heading off in the wrong direction.  At the minute it works as a Filter,
but
that doesn't allow you to use roles or security constraints.

So I suppose the question is how do I hook the user authentication code
already have into the server so it's called to authenticate
<login-config>s.
Or something.

Sorry if this has been asked before, or if the answer's in some obvious
place.  I really have looked around, I just haven't been able to find
anything relevant.

So, any pointers/clues/hints out there?

Many thanks,

            Geoff