tomcat-users mailing list archives

From g...@zephion.net
Subject RE: mod_jk + ssl + apache
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2001 22:35:53 GMT
Tomcat only works with IP-based virtual hosts.  Using a different host name
resolves to a different IP address, so Tomcat can serve from the correct
directory.  Trying to use 443 on the same host name as your public system
resolves to the same IP address, so Tomcat serves from the public directory.

The only way I could figure out how to get this to work was to run two
copies of Tomcat, one serving http and the other serving https.  Run the
connectors on unique ports so Apache can talk to the correct tomcat
instance.

-----Original Message-----
From: Connie Chan [mailto:cchan@drfirst.com]
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2001 1:29 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: mod_jk + ssl + apache

I had specified JkMount in Virtual Host directive in httpd.conf file and
specified the path in the host directive in server.xml.  They are as
following:

In httpd.conf,
		<VirtualHost host1.myorg.com:443>
		DocumentRoot j:/webapps/rootexample/secure_html
		SSLEnable
		SSLClientAuth none
		ServerName host1.myorg.com
		</VirtualHost>

In server.xml,
<Host name="host1.myorg.com" >
           		<Context path=""
                    docBase="j:/webapps/rootexample/secure_html"/>
</Host>

If I set the virtual host name (for SSL) as same as server name, it won't
work.  When I https://host1.myorg.com <https://host1.myorg.com> , the log
file show that the tomcat still looks for the public_html directory (which
is the document root directory for the web server).  But I set the virtual
host name different from the server name, it works fine.  Plus, I notice
from the console shows as followings when tomcat starts up:

	ContextManager: Adding context Ctx( host1.myorg.com: )

I am not sure if I should specify the port in the host directive, in order
to tell tomcat to look for different path for SSL.  If so, what is the
syntax.  I cannot find from the user guide.  I tried <Host
name="host1.myorg.com:443"> and <Host name="host1.myorg.com" port="443'>.
None of them works (the console shows "Adding contect
Ctx(host1.myorg.com:443: ).    Please advise.

Thanks,
Connie