tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "McDermid, Ian" <Imcder...@metiom.com.au>
Subject RE: Tomcat,Apache,Linux,Oracle 8i,JDBC connectivity
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:19:28 GMT
postgresql has most of the features of Oracle, particularly transaction
support. Also it is free.

-----Original Message-----
From: qazwasyx@btinternet.com [mailto:qazwasyx@btinternet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 2:41 AM
To: brett@knightsofthenet.com; tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: Tomcat,Apache,Linux,Oracle 8i,JDBC connectivity

I agree totally, mainly from the opint of view that no
advice should be given without the knowledge of the
requirement.

I was going out on a limb though, and guessing that
since linux and tomcat were chosen, a cost-effective
solutions was sought after.

Regards,

>Mike,
>
>I don't want to start an off-topic thread on this but #2
is poor advice if you don't know what types of
transactions are going to be
>needed in the app. There is a reason Oracle is used
by very large companies for very large databases.

>AFAIK neither of mSQL nor mySQL support
transactions nor a host of other "real" database
features. I understand they are great for
>dbs where, for the most part, all the users are doing is
queries and not updates.

>Also, while it makes sense that the missing features
should make them quite fast there is evidence to cast
doubt on that (at least
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3

>> If you don't HAVE to, I would recommend:
>>
>> 1. Use FreeBSD, not linux.
>> 2. Use mSQL or mySQL, there's less processing
>> overhead.
>> 3. Tomcat 3.2.1 has performance improvements over
>> 3.1. (3.3 is cleaner still, but I'm guesing you won't
want