tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kief Morris <k...@bitbull.com>
Subject Re: Custom error pages from servlets?
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2001 09:19:01 GMT
Les Hartzman typed the following on 04:36 PM 2/7/2001 -0800
>Using Tomcat 3.2.1, is it possible to define/display custom error pages
>based on errors that occur within a servlet?  No JSPs are used; this is a
>servlet/EJB environment.
>
>I've seen in the spec  for web.xml that there is an error-page element for
>either a general error code or an exception type.  But is final granularity
>possible based on some servlet action?

I'm not sure what you mean by that last sentence. You can throw
whatever exceptions you want in your servlet to force handling by
a particular error page. Create custom exception subclasses and
throw those in your servlet.

<error-page>
    <exception-type>com.myco.myproject.FooException</exception-type>
    <location>/servlets/FooExceptionServlet)</location>
</error-page>

Section 9.8 of the 2.2 specification explains how to find the error conditions in
your servlet.

Note that there has been a bug which causes Tomcat to choke if you use
a non JSP/servlet resource to handle error-pages, i.e. using a flat HTML page
kills it. I'm not sure if this is still a bug.

Kief