tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: tc4: catalina.home vs "catalina.install"
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2001 01:36:30 GMT
Endre Stølsvik wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>
> | Endre Stølsvik wrote:
> |
> | > Hi!
> | >
> | > It kind of seems to me that there is some "inconsistency" between the
> | > catalina.home and where you actually want tomcat4 to _run_.
> | >
> | > I have a bunch of "installations" for my gang of developers, and each
> | > developer have a complete env. to develop in.
> | >
> | > But how do I configure, "say to", catalina that "this is where you're
> | > installed, and thus where you can find your code and stuff", and "this is
> | > where you're supposed to run, this is your _home_"..
> | >

> | Right now, Tomcat 4.0 does not have a clear distinction between these
> | two concepts -- the best way to deal with multiple developers would be
> | to have multiple installations of Tomcat, each with their own
> | "catalina.home".
>
> Will there be such a distinction soon?! At least I feel it's clearly a
> needed option! :)

Well, one could always submit a patch to make it so :-)  That's usually
the
quickest way to get your own itch scratched.

> And if so, how impossible would it be to point several tomcats to the same
> webapp? E.g. the manager-thingy? Or would I have to copy the webapp into
> each tomcat's location? I guess there could be problems with the
> generation and compilation of those JSP things.

You can use an absolute disk pathname in the docBase parameter of the
<Context>
entry.  As long as each Catalina instance is not sharing the same
"catalina.home"
directory (and therefore, not sharing the same work directories), this
should
work fine.

> --
> Mvh,