tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: RequestDispatcher.forward() in Tomcat 3.2.1
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:44:20 GMT
William Au wrote:

> Is there any way in Tomcat 3.2.1 for the control to return to a servlet
> after its
> call to RequestDispatcher.forward() is completed?

Control *does* return -- RequestDispatcher.forward() is a normal Java
method call.

However, the servlet spec prohibits you from modifying the response at this
point.  If Weblogic lets you do this (for instance, by allowing you to add
additional text to the response created by the forwarded-to servlet), then
it is not obeying the spec.

>  That is the behavior
> of
> WebLogic 5.1.0.  I want my code to work on the same way running under
> both.   I am aware of the RequestDispatcher.include() method.
>
> Bill

Craig McClanahan