tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rogério Meneguelli Gatto <ga...@softwaredesign.com.br>
Subject Re: performance
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2001 20:18:07 GMT
Steve Ruby wrote:

> I've heard that there is only an advantage to running native-threads
> in an SMP situation, my results don't support that AT ALL..

This is just a guess, but I'd say IO blocking is responsible for the better
native threads results.

In green threads mode, there's only one OS thread, and if you block on IO your
whole application hangs; on native threads, only the actual caller thread will
block.  And Servlets and JDBC are all about IO...

BTW, I've been using IBM JDK 1.3.0 on linux 2.2.18, native threads, and am very
satisfied.

--
Rogério Meneguelli Gatto     |  ICQ# 25775025
Analista de Sistemas Pleno   |  +55 19 3254-6518 ext 223