tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Steve Ruby <st...@rubysolutions.com>
Subject Re: performance
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2001 19:24:11 GMT
Stefan Langer wrote:

> I'm following this performance issue with great interest and I was wondering:
>
> was the testing for the performance of tomcat based on a single instance of tomcat running?
> Did you use loadbalancing?
>
> In short I would greatly appreciate more information of the overall enviroment you tested
the load on.

> Btw are there any sites out there that have benchmarks on them? I know this question
was asked before but I didn't find a satisfying answer yet.

> Stefan
>
> P.S: In a world without fences who needs gates?

Here's a little curious benchmark I just ran.. maybe meaningless in
the "real world" but it pertains to my app so it is meaningful to me.

Hitting a single servlet (turbine based) with maybe 4 queries to
MySQL generated by hitting the page I get these results
on a PII400, running SUN JRE 1.2.2 with JIT disabled. I was hitting
the servlet with 10 threads from JMeter on 300MS delay. The time
is the average response time of the servlet when then it reaches
a steady state.

Tomcat-3.2.1 - green-threads      5.7sec avg (ouch)
Tomcat-3.2.1 - native-threads     3.4sec avg
Tomcat-4 -     green-threads      3.8sec avg
Tomcat-4 -     native-threads     2.3sec avg

Note it appears that tomcat 4 is a bit faster in this test, and
definately if I move the Jmeter up to 20 threads hitting a page
under that tomcat instance with a brower is very bad in 3.2.1 but not
so bad under tomcat 4. Even at 20 threads hitting it pretty fast
I can still "use" the site when running under Tomcat4 under 3.2.1
it seems nearly unuseable.

If I hit a page (RequestInfo example servlet) which doesn't do much
and doesn't have turbine overhead the response it is much
faster under tomcat 4...

BUT, if I run apache ab with count=1000 concurrent=50 the requests
per second number I get for 3.2.1 is more than it is for tomcat 4
hitting the RequestInfo servlet... This under green threads, if I
run native threads in tomcat 3.2.1 it choakes on this test, but
tomcat 4 doesn't

I also notice under low load that the page responses in the brower
definately seem snappier under Tomcat 4..

Soo.. what is the significance of "native threads not supported" in
SUN JDK1.2.2 for linux?

I've heard that there is only an advantage to running native-threads
in an SMP situation, my results don't support that AT ALL..

There appear to be problems using native-threads in 3.2.1 but
the same problems did not show up in tomcat 4... Does this mean
I'm semi safe running native threads under tomcat 4?

This computer is much slower than the production dual PIII but
it does give me some clue. This computer also only has 192megs ram
and the JVM heap was not set to a max value, but it never went
above about 18megs for total jvm size.

As far as load balancing which I do not have configured for a single
tomcat instance on this machine... I can really load up
one tomcat instance and fire of another one with the same webapp
in it and response is instant.. so it is definately the JVM that
is hurting and not the whole machine.  I figure it would
take me 4 JVM's to get the same performance that I get with
PHP on a similar page hit under the 20threads load.