tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Morahg, Yoav" <Ymor...@gist.com>
Subject RE: R: Problem with a new version of JSP pages
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:44:50 GMT
Are the pages which aren't reloading by chance included on another .jsp page
with the <%@include> directive?

If so, this is your problem.

The <@include> directive is a static include which is simply inserted into
the calling .jsp page at compile time (as opposed to a dynamic include in
which the page is recompiled [if necessary] every time the calling .jsp is
run).

If you use the <@include> the calling .jsp has no way of knowing when the
included page needs to be recompiled because it simply pulls the page in
when it initially compiles and does not check every time it is called if any
of the <@include>s have been changed. Because of this, the calling page
doesn't think it needs to recompile and hence you see your old page.
Solutions? When you change a page that is <@include>ed in a calling page,
make a change (even if it's just deleting a character and retyping it) to
the calling page and save it. That way, the calling page will get recompiled
and a new copy of the <@includ>ed page will get grabbed at that time. The
other option is to use the dynamic include (<jsp:include>), which will force
the page to be recompiled (if necessary) everytime the calling .jsp is
called. However, this is not always a good thing to do. Unfortunately, I
can't elaborate on when you'd use a <@include> and when you'd use a
<jsp:include> ... perhaps someone else can help out with an answer regarding
this???

Good luck!

-Yoav