tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mel Martinez <melaqu...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: TC3.2.1 - response commit on included JSPs
Date Sat, 24 Feb 2001 16:46:19 GMT

--- cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:
> > I won't contest that, but I would suggest
> considering
> > the idea that the final, or intended destination
> is
> > not necessarily the browser.  In the case of an
> > included resource, it is the calling servlet that
> is
> > acting as client to the included resource.  In
> good OO
> > design, it should be in the control of that client
> > what to do with the data that has been 'committed'
> by
> > the included resource.
>
> Except that this is explicitely specified - the
> flush()
> in JspWriter should be propagated to the next
> stream.
>
> " if that destination is another character or
>  byte stream, flush it."
>
> In this case, the destination is the servlet output
> stream - and it has to be flushed.

That is only because the particular servlet engine
implementation implements the ServletOutputStream of
the Response object passed to the included servlet by
wrapping it around (or simply passing on) the current
ServletOutputStream.  Technically, that does not have
to be so.

> And it is also explicitely stated that the included
> servlet can commit the response ( in
> RequestDispatcher
> spec )

This is true.  My argument then is only that I think
the spec is bad in this regard.  However, as I stated,
I can live with it.

> > Looking at the Tomcat 3.2.1 code, I see that this
> > situation is still further broken in this regard
>
> The main change in 3.3 is removing many of the
> dependencies and cleaning the code. M

I like what you've alluded to in the 'buffer' being a
first class object - that sounds more correct.

> I would say 3.3 :-)
>
> We hope to have a beta in few weeks - the code is
> already
> usable and stable.

So, I'm trying to decide whether to use the latest
milestone build, nightly build or to setup a cvs
project and simply track the latest code with the
eventual goal of helping to contribute.  Having to
build one of my deployment tools from source is not
something I really wanted to do from a project
management perspective, but oh well....

I presume I can hook up as a 'read only' user of the
tc 3.3 cvs repositories with wincvs?  Where can I find
the necessary repository url and authentication info?
Or can I actually checkout the whole project via
cvsweb?  Looks like I need to do some poking around...

This will be a bit of a learning experience since I've
never built with Ant before.  :-)

Thanks for the discussion, Costin.

Mel