tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alex Colic <aco...@yahoo.com>
Subject Answer three simple questions and I will be thrilled.
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:51:37 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to get a handle on Log4J and I have three problems/questions I am trying to get
around.

First I am trying to use log4j with a web app that is distributed in a standard war file.
I want
to be able to distribute this file, along with the logging class and not worry about configuring
log4j.

In my code I have PropertyConfigurator.configure("path to myLog.properties");

As a result I have to set this path every time I distribute the war file.
Is it possible to set this up so that the class file looks to where it has been installed
and
looks for myLog.properties there. This way I don't have to worry about setting to
myLog.properties.

Second, I have a rolling file set in myLog.properties via:
log4j.appender.R.File="/myRollingLog.log"

How can I do the same as in step one, have this file default to where the war file was installed?

Third, I have the following code in each of my class files:
Category cat=Category.getinstance(myclass.class.getName());
How can I have the above through reflection find its own class name and therefore I would
have a
default statement? Something like
Category cat=Category.getInstance("Find_What_Class_This_Is).class.getName())?

Thanks for any help.

Alex

=====
Regards

Alex Colic, HBA, B. Ed
PopWare Inc. "Driving down the cost of conversions"
E-Mail: Alex.Colic@pop-ware.com
Tel: 1-905-777-8171 ext. 104
Fax: 1-905-777-0132