tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sam Newman" <Samuel.New...@btinternet.com>
Subject Servlet as an RMI client
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:47:45 GMT
Dear all,

I'm having some problems using a servlet as an RMI client. I start my RMI server up, and register
my remote object using Naming.rebind(). A sample client works fine with this object. I write
a servlet and try and communicate with the Server in the same way, and use an RMISecurityManager,
but I get a seucirty exception:
(java.net.SocketPermission localhost resolve)
I thought this was an issue with security, so I change the policy file to give my apps context
full permissions. I then invoke Tomcat with the -security option, and now I cannot even retrieve
a session object. My two questions are:

1.) Why can't I contact the rmi socket even with security manager is in place?
2.) Why do my changes to the policy file seem to have no effect?

Here is the error:

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.net.SocketPermission 206.42.42.10:1099
connect,resolve)
      at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:272)

Thanks in advance,

sam newman
Stamplets.com
software developer