please check if you have put some other older version of servlet.jar in your classpath or in java_home\jre\lib\ext folder. if yes then remove it and the problem will be solved
----- Original Message -----
From: Yogesh Bhandarkar
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 7:16 PM
Subject: Very Important and Urgent, please help

Hello, All

I'm Using tomcat 3.2.1 on Redhat Linux 6.2, with apache 1.3.9. Problem here I'm facing is that, I'm not able to execute JSP files, when I try execute any JSP, it returns following error.

Error: 500

Location: /examples/jsp/include/include.jsp

Internal Servlet Error:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: javax.servlet.ServletException: method getRootCause()Ljava/lang/Throwable; not found
	at org.apache.tomcat.context.ExceptionHandler.doService(DefaultCMSetter.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.handleError(ContextManager.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java, Compiled Code)
In any example it returns the same error. Please let me know the solution.

Regards

Yogesh Bhandarkar