tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allen Akers" <ak...@cc.admin.unt.edu>
Subject RE: applet-servlet communication
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 02:55:59 GMT
I ran into the same issue and found that due to some reason (purported
to be security-related, although I can't see how) applets running under
IE will NOT use the post protocol to submit requests no matter WHAT you
do.  If you are insistent on using post then you'll be limited to
running under Netscape from everything I've seen and done.  I was lucky
that the particular applet I needed to post from (it was posting edited
JSPs back to the web server, which is why I needed to use post) was only
for our in-house developers, so I could tell them that they HAVE to use
Netscape.  Unless there is a really good reason (like content length, in
my case) that you have to use post then I'd say to use get so that
you'll have cross-browser compatibility.

               Allen Akers
               Programmer Analyst
               Strategic Web and Voice Development
               ________________________________
               akers@cc.admin.unt.edu

>>> randy.layman@aswethink.com 01/29/01 03:07PM >>>

	I would guess that you are not actually POSTing information.
Searching on jGuru just now I found a snippet of code (totally
unrelated to
your problem) that does an example of POST.  Its at
http://www.jguru.com/jguru/faq/orphan_view.jsp?EID=141034.  Maybe this
example can help you to figure out what's not going quite right.  If
you
still can't figure it out, you will need to post code for anyone to be
able
to help you.

	Randy