tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alpay KARAGOZ <al...@ii.metu.edu.tr>
Subject Re: Secured Documents with Tomcat ?
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 08:33:40 GMT
Hi,

The trivial solution is to write a servlet which takes the html page
locations as parameter and reads the files, which should be located ot of
your web space, and prints the file content to the screen.
Since html files are not accessible by default the only possibility is to
use your servlet to reach the files.

you may utilize Jason Hunter's servlet util classes, or write your own
servlet which accomplishes this task.

I would also be glad to learn if there are solutions where tomcat can
handle this situation with a few configuration details.

On Tue, 30 Jan
2001, Lukman W. Kusuma wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am sorry if my question below are one of the FAQs, but I really
> couldn't choose the keyword of my issue.
> I am using Tomcat 3.1 (yes, only Tomcat, no Apache) with Caldera
> OpenLinux 2.4, OpenSSL, and a database to store/modify/read secured
> online documentation. It works fine for all newly created  documentation
> that I need to put there, but not for the old ones.
>

> The issue is for the existing big static HTML documents
>
>      Some of the documentation is well written in .html with
>      thousands of pages. I could put it in one of the Tomcat's web
>      directory and write the servlet for the first index.html (this
>      way I can verify the user's session).  But once I logged in, I
>      could see the link for other pages. Subsequently I don't need
>      to use that servlet anymore, instead, I will use those links
>      to access those pages directly.
>      How should I protect those pages? Can Tomcat do it? What is
>      the best solutions? Can I put it in a protected access (with
>      https auth), and let my servlet checked the session (so it
>      could be accessed only after the servlet verify it)?
>

> TIA
>
> Lukman

Nuri Alpay KARAGOZ			e-mail: alpay@ii.metu.edu.tr
Project Assistant			homepage: http://www.ii.metu.edu.tr/~alpay
Department of Information Systems	Voice: +90-312-210 37 44
Middle East Technical University	Fax: +90-312-210 37 45
06531 Ankara, Turkey