tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: dtd for Tomcat 3.2.1's server.xml
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 07:36:51 GMT
On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

| Try to write the DTD entry for a <RequestInterceptor> element (Tomcat 3.2) or a
| <Valve> element (Tomcat 4.0) and you will see what I mean.  In either case, the Java
| class that gets instantiated can be *anything*, with any set of JavaBeans properties.
| The initialization logic uses Java reflection to match up XML attributes to JavaBeans
| property names at runtime, in the same way that the following JSP statement works:
|
|     <jsp:setProperty name="beanname" property="*"/>
|
| Since the set of all possible meaningful property names is infinite, it *cannot* be
| enumerated in a DTD, which requires you to list *all* valid attributes of every
| element.

Isn't the attribute here the "name" and "property", NOT the "beanname" and
"*"? If so, couldn't you write a DTD for that? A "setProperty" element can
have to attributes, "name" and "property". You could also have several
parameters, like <parameter name="some" value="thing" />, there's room for
that in DTDs?

If that is true, you could validate all the required elements in a
requestInterceptor (or whatever, I have no clue here), but leave the
other, introspected stuff, for those <parameter />'s

--
Mvh,
Endre