tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "G.Nagarajan" <gnagara...@dkf.de>
Subject RE: Please, Please help with the install of Tomcat!
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:16:17 GMT
Hi Roland,

do the following,
rename jdk1.3 to jdk
rename jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1 to tomcat

and add the following to the autoexec.bat,

JAVA_HOME=c:\jdk
TOMCAT_HOME=C:\tomcat\
PATH=c:\jdk\bin

this should do!

-----Original Message-----
From: Roland Dong [mailto:RB-Dong@wiu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 11:06 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Pleae, Please help with the install of Tomcat!

I am new to the list.  I just downloaded Tomcat 3.2.1. and have little idea
in terms of how to install it. I did manage to unzip the file and put them
all together under the directory jakarta-tomcat 3.2.1. However, when I
startup the server, I got an error message:

"You must set JAVA_HOME to point at your Java Development Kit installation"

I found "Tomcat - A Minimalistic User's Guide" is not clear enough to help
me.  Can someone perhelps show me a bit details?

According to the Guide:

"On Win32 you should type: "set TOMCAT_HOME=foo\tomcat". Set the environment
variable JAVA_HOME to point to the root directory of your JDK hierarchy,
then add the Java interpreter to your PATH environment variable."

So I added these lines to my autoexec.bat "following" the above guide.

JAVA_HOME=c:\jdk1.3
TOMCAT_HOME=C:\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1\
PATH=%JAVA_HOME%\bin

But I get it work. Is there something wrong?

Thanks a lot,

Roland