tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Molloy" <mollo...@eeng.dcu.ie>
Subject Tomcat 4.0 Troubles - Bad Major Version Number
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 01:27:56 GMT
Hi,
	Having already installed Tomcat3.1 and Tomcat3.2, linking them
with Apache etc. I decided I was ready for Tomcat4.0.  Unfortunately,
I was wrong.... firstly I had tarring problems which were solved by
downloading gnutar and I was over that hurdle.  Before I modified anything
I decided to try ./startup.sh and I'm getting this error:

Error loading class org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap: Bad major version
number

Any ideas what this means?  I haven't even started breaking it with bad
config files yet :)

Thanks,
David Molloy

PS: Also, any pointers to information about Version 4.0 installs/usage would
be great also as I can't see to track down much (and understandably so)

Config: Solaris 7, Tomcat4.0b1 (from binaries on site), haven't linked with
Apache or anything