tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Paul FitzPatrick" <r...@fitzpatrick.cc>
Subject RE: Delay in invoking first servlet
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:53:12 GMT

I'm not sure, but I've heard on the list that there is an expensive random
number seeding process that occurs on the first access to the server. This
could be what you are seeing. To make this less obtrusive, you could create
a load-on-startup servlet which makes a request to your server so that this
delay is incurred automatically and not by the first human user.

Regards,
Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Rachel Gollub [mailto:rachel@equiltblocks.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 11:32 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Delay in invoking first servlet

I've got tomcat running with apache, and everything's working fine,
but when I invoke the first servlet from a browser, I get a 60-80
second delay.  Everything after that is fast -- it's just that first
servlet that's showing the delay.  It doesn't matter which servlet
I use, or whether I <load-on-startup> -- it still happens.  Anyone
know what's going on, or how to fix it?

Thanks!
--
Rachel Gollub