tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "James Morgenstein" <jmorgenst...@recommend-it.com>
Subject RE: Runaway Apache daemon
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:53:49 GMT
What are the values that others have used for the StartServers directives?

I've got pretty powerful boxes which are not being used to their fullest at
the current Apache directive levels (512 max servers), so lowering these
values will only impact my performance further.

Are you using AJP12 or AJP13, mod_jk or mod_jserv?

Thanks.

James

-----Original Message-----
From: Cato, Christopher [mailto:ccato@rational.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 4:29 AM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Runaway Apache daemon

This happened to me too, when I'd set the values to high in the StartServers
directives in httpd.conf. I set all the values a bit high initially, but cut
them in half when this problem occurred to me. I never checked how much
juice the httpd processes were using, just noticed the unusually large
amount of java threads in the ps output. Reducing the amount of servers
started and the amount of children started fixed it.

/Christopher Cato