tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Wentzel <Michael.Went...@aswethink.com>
Subject RE: nonHttpServlet Support
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2001 14:23:13 GMT
Generic Servlets can be generated quite easily.  Here is a
stubbed out class:

package com.example;

import javax.servlet.*;

public class MyServlet extends Servlet
{
	public MyServlet
	{

	}

    // The init() method gets called when the Servlet is loaded
    public void init(ServletConfig config)
    throws ServletException
    {
        try {
            //..
        } catch (IllegalArgumentException e)
        {
            System.out.println("Exception " + e.getClass().getName()
					 + "(" + e.getMessage() + ") "
					 + "caught in MyServlet.init()
method");
            e.printStackTrace();
        }
    }

    // below are the methods that a Servlet must implement
    // and may be of use
    public void service(ServletRequest req, ServletResponse res)
    throws ServletException, IOException
    { }

    public ServletConfig getServletConfig()
    {
        //..
    }

    public String getServletInfo()
    {
        //..
    }

    public void destroy()
    {

    }
}

The way I use this servlet is by adding the following to my web.xml file:

    <servlet>
	<!-- name to identify the servlet by -->
    	<servlet-name>
		MyServlet
    	</servlet-name>
	<!-- full class path to servlet -->
	<servlet-class>
		com.example.MyServlet
	</servlet-class>
	<!-- The order to startup the servlet in -->
	<load-on-startup>
	      0
	</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

This starts the servlet on server startup.

I can't think of any references that aren't specific to HttpServlet off the
top of my head but I'll take a look through my favorites and see if I find
anything.

---
Michael Wentzel
Software Developer