tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ciot, Thierry" <thierry.c...@compuware.com>
Subject RE: I don't want cached pages
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2001 19:41:01 GMT
I found this somewhere (don't recall where) to prevent caching in the
browser.

<%
response.setDateHeader("Expires", 0);
response.setHeader("Pragma", "no-cache");
if ( request.getProtocol().equals("HTTP/1.1") )
   response.setHeader("Cache-Control", "no-cache");
%>

If you tried accessing the page from a browser on 2 different machines and
you are getting what you describe then it is not a browser caching problem
but rather a pb on the server.

Thierry

-----Original Message-----
From: Hugo Lara [mailto:hugo.lara@alterbrain.com]
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 2:12 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: I don't want cached pages

I'm developing a website using Tomcat but I have a little problem.

I use a page that calls itself passing some parameters and based on the
parameters passed shows certain result.
The first time I call the page the URL looks like this:

http://myHost:21968/Demos/Formating.jsp
<http://myHost:21968/Demos/Formating.jsp>

and I get the "original page"
After calling itself with a parameter, the URL look like this:

http://myHost:21968/Demos/Formating.jsp?parameter=123
<http://myHost:21968/Demos/Formating.jsp?parameter=123>

and I get the "result page"

If I try to get the original page typing
http://myHost:21968/Demos/Formating.jsp
<http://myHost:21968/Demos/Formating.jsp>  in the browser, what I get is the
last page showing a result. It happens even if I call the page from a
different computer.

This is a serious problem because it means that someone accessing the site
for the first time, would see the result page generated by the parameters
passed by the last visitor instead of the original page.

The only way I've found to solve this is restarting Tomcat's service. Doing
so I won't get the result page but the original page.
But of course, I don't want to be restarting Tomcat's service everytime a
visitor wants to access the site.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?