tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "oliver2, andy" <>
Subject RE: Question
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 01:46:15 GMT
Suggestion: mysql and postgresql I believe both have
windoze versions.  They're both free too.

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan
Sent: 1/28/01 7:18 PM
Subject: Re: Question

"Lavallee Computer Consulting, Inc." wrote:

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I am a java
enterprise developer and develop generally on my standalone notebook
where I use Jigsaw, JavaWebServer and Apache/Tomcat. All work fine. My
notebook used Windows 98 and my application currently under development
uses MS Access. When I moved all three web servers to my NT Server
machine, installed and started. Only the JavaWebServer2.0 works as
expected. Both Jigsaw and Apache/tomcat fail. Here is what happens: My
application uses servlets which extracts information from an Access
database and merges with internally generated HTML documents and sent to
the client over the internet (network at this point in time). The moment
the program attempts to access the database I get a Doctor Watson error
which says error Java.exe 'access violation' along with some additional
cryptic information. I do not get this error with JavaWebServer nor do I
get it in any of the three web servers when running in my notebook
(windows98). If I reverse the process and execute the application from
the NT Server using my notebook as the webserver (apache/tomcat), all
works perfectly. It seems to be the NT Server that is causing me
problems but can't pinpoint it.
 Has anyone encountered this problem and what is a possible solution?
Bernard Lavallee
Lavallee Computer Consulting, Inc.
166 Packard Road
Jericho, VT 05465
Tel: 802 899-3115    Email:

It's more likely to be a problem with the JDBC-ODBC bridge driver not
working well in NT's multithreading environment, which is somewhat
different than Win98's.  If you are using this driver, you are strongly
encouraged to switch to something else.

Of course, Access isn't a particularly good choice for a database,
either, if you are going to get any volume of hits at all.

Craig McClanahan

View raw message