tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <>
Subject curious behavior - pseudo servlet-mapping with mod_jk
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:34:12 GMT

I just noticed something that seems to work for me, but I can't determine
quite why?  Maybe someone can confirm that this is expected behavior or

I am running Tomcat 3.2.1 on Windows 2000

It seems that if you have a servlet registered in web.xml like this:

AND you have the default values in mod_jk.conf:

JkMount /mycontext/*.jsp ajp13
JkMount /mycontext/servlet/* ajp13

you are able to access the above servlet at either of the following URL's:

Notice the case difference in Quiz/quiz

It seems that the <servlet-name> provides a rudimentary amount of servlet

I tested this theory by changing the <servlet-name> to "quiza" and testing
that.  After I did that, "Quiz" and "quiza" worked, but "quiz" did not.

NOTE:  This was done WITHOUT servlet mapping tags such as:

So, it seems you can very simply (without complex servlet mappings) make
your servlet case insensitive; that is in First letter upper case java
style class naming syntax OR all lower case.

I am not sure if this is portable accross servers!!!!!!!!!

Can someone confirm that this isn't just a quirk of Tomcat?  Should it work
this way based on the servlet spec????  Is it portable across servlet
runners????  Does this work on Tomcat 4.0????

View raw message