tomcat-users mailing list archives

From adele <ad...@mindspring.com>
Subject Tomcat on a dialup connection
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:05:33 GMT
Hi,

I have a question on downloading the Apache Tomcat server. I am wondering
if it will mess up my internet connectivity...

I'm on Win 98 on a dialup modem here in my home office. I'm paranoid of
repeating the same annoyance that happened when I once tried running
Allaire's JRun web server on this PC. JRun on an office TI line is fine,
but here at home, it would automatically run every time I booted up my PC.
It'd hijack my modem, taking over my internet connection. I would get very
strange phone-line errors...

Every time I'd try to dial up  with my modem to check email, the JRun
webserver would have already started (even when I did NOT want it to!). So
I'd get a "modem busy" error message when I tried to check my email or get
to the Internet. I resorted to forcing JRun to stop abnormally every time I
booted up my PC, which was slow and annoying.

Will I have the same problem if I download Tomcat?? (Also, is it easy to
uninstall later?)

Your feedback would be appreciated. Everyone I know that have Tomcat are in
offices on T1 lines, not at home on a dialup....

Please email me, as I am not yet subscribed to your list yet...got this
email address from a friend....Thanks!

Adele Wang
adele@mindspring.com