tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Luc Vanlerberghe <...@bvdep.com>
Subject Re: Session creation speed
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:32:03 GMT
Note that this only happens for the very first session that is created
after tomcat is started.

All following session id's will be generated much faster, it's only the
initialisation of the secure random number generator that takes a long
time.

The latest versions of tomcat (both the 3.x and 4.x versions) address
this problem by initialising the generator when tomcat starts instead of
waiting until the first session id is needed. I'm not sure this is
already present in the release versions...

You can use the simple java.util.Random class during development, but
for production, you should use the SecureRandom class to prevent anyone
from guessing your session id and taking over from another browser...

Luc Vanlerberghe