tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: controlling resource utilization...
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:45:49 GMT

"Buttrick, David" wrote:

> This is really my introduction to Java.
>
> I've got tomcat3.2.1 running in standalone mode on a remote host from the
> web server. The tomcat application server is running Linux kernel 2.2.18,
> and Sun's jdk1.3. I notice that tomcat invokes many java processes. Are
> these threads?

Yes.  The Linux "ps" output is misleading.

> or are they actually processes?

No.  There is only one process.

> Why do I need so many? Is
> there like one for each context or something?

No, there is actually a pool of threads used to process simultaneous requests to
any webapp (one request per thread), plus a few background threads for things
like invalidating sessions that have timed out.

> Can I control that? I've been doing some reading, and i cant seem to find
> anything that talks about this.
>
> What I want to do is be able to control the number of processes that are
> created.

You don't really need to worry about them.  Idle threads cost essentially no
overhead.  However, if your app is going to serve lots of simultaneous requests,
you might need to up the number of threads to maintain reasonable response time.

> Thanks
>
> David Buttrick

Craig McClanahan