tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat-4.0-m5 Problem running the build
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:41:24 GMT
Paul Fernandes wrote:

> Hi,
>         I'm using jdk1.2, Windows NT 4.0, on an INTEL platform. I'm having a
> problem running Tomcat4.0 milestone 5. I followed the directions and
> succeeded in getting a successful build, but am having problems running
> the build.
>
> The following appears when I run bin\catalina start:
>
>         A nonfatal internal JIT (3.00.078(x)) error 'Relocation error: NULL
> relocation target' has occurred in:
>           'org/apache/crimson/parser/Parser2.maybeComment (Z)Z': Interpreting
> method.
>           Please report this error in detail to
> http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi

This is a know issue with the way that the JVM tries to deal with code in the
"crimson" XML parser.

>         Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
>         Apache Tomcat/4.0-m5
>         Starting service Tomcat-Apache
>         Apache Tomcat/4.0-m5
>
> When I try to access the default content and examples via
> http://localhost:8080/, the following error appears in the browser:
>
>         HTTP Status 404 - /
>         The requested resource (/) is not available.
>
> Can't access any of the example servlets or JSP's either. What am I
> doing wrong?

In the $CATALINA_HOME/webapps directory, do you see "ROOT", "examples",
"manager", and "webdav" directories?  If not, then you haven't finished all the
steps needed, because there is no default webapp available.

What I normally do is execute this from the top-level directory of the source
distribution:

    ./build.sh

which will build and install Catalina, Jasper, and the webapps into directory
"../build/tomcat-4.0".  You should be able to run successfully from there.